Book Title: Content Area Literacy: An Integrated Approach
Publisher: Kendall Hunt Publishing
Author: READENCE JOHN
- 50 Instructional Routines to Develop Content Literacy (3rd Edition) (Teaching Strategies Series)
- Not for ESOL Teachers: What Every Classroom Teacher Needs to Know About the Linguistically, Culturally, and Ethnically Diverse Student (2nd Edition)
- The Reading Specialist, Third Edition: Leadership and Coaching for the Classroom, School, and Community
- Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from The New York Times, Rolling Stone, The Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others
- Content Area Learning: Bridges to Disciplinary Literacy
- Those Who Can, Teach
- 50 Content Area Strategies for Adolescent Literacy (Merrill / Prentice Hall Teaching Strategies Series)
- Diverse Learners in the Mainstream Classroom: Strategies for Supporting ALL Students Across Content Areas--English Language Learners, Students with Disabilities, Gifted/Talented Students
- Applications of Reading Strategies within the Classroom
- Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
New 11th Edition Now Available!
The 11th edition of Content Area Literacy focuses on developing 21st century learners who are adept at reading and critiquing multiple texts. Organized into two parts: Learning with Text and Technology and Teaching and Learning Strategies, this edition has a redesigned page format that provides teachers quick and easy access to concepts, ideas, and strategies.
Content Area Literacy features:
- theory and related discipline-specific learning strategies designed to assist middle and secondary students in reading and learning through 21st century literacy practices.
- a multimedia approach that integrates the book with additional website resources.
- new teaching and learning strategies as well as a discussion of current literacy issues.
Content Area Literacy Learning Aids:
- Technology - Access to an expanded companion website provides valuable and current information on the subject.
- Anticipation Guides in Part 1 present a series of statements and facilitate discussion of literacy issues to come.
- Vignettes in Part 2 present a classroom scenario that sets the tone of the chapter lesson.
- Rationale sections explain the purpose of the chapter.
- Learning Objectives focus on the literacy issues discussed in each chapter.
- The Graphic Organizer gives a preview of new vocabulary and concepts.
- Several Chapter Features including Applications, Consider This, Glimpse into the Classroom, and Summary sections.
Content Area Literacy End of Chapter Aids:
- Reaction Guides/Vignettes – reinforce the Anticipation Guides and Vignettes from the chapter openers and confirm the big picture presented in the chapter.
- Mini Projects to apply chapter information.
- Website Activity references exercises for the corresponding chapter content.