Book Title: Empowering Students with Hidden Disabilities: A Path to Pride and Success
Publisher: Brookes Publishing
Release Date: 2016-08-17
Author: Margo Vreeburg Izzo Ph.D.
How can you empower students with invisible disabilities to manage their challenges, accept and advocate for themselves, and reach their goals and dreams? This guidebook has inspiring and informative answers. Told with the authentic voices of adults with hidden disabilities, this encouraging, eye-opening book will help you guide students on the Path to Disability Pride and support their success in the classroom and community. Personal stories blend with powerful strategies as the authors share reflections on their experience with disability—and offer up practical teaching tips and interventions based on the latest research. An essential resource for educators, families, and self-advocates, this book will help students with non-visible disabilities dare to dream big and unlock their full potential.
DISCOVER HOW TO
- promote disability pride within students, schools, and communities
- teach critical life skills, including social-emotional, executive function, reading, and coping skills
- reduce the stigma of hidden disabilities
- develop mentoring programs that connect students with advice and encouragement
- assist college students as they navigate the challenges of campus life and classes
- prepare young adults to launch fulfilling careers and responsible, self-determined adult lives
- help students develop authentic and meaningful relationships with others
- support students with a range of hidden disabilities, including ADHD, learning disabilities, autism, and emotional and behavioral disturbance
PRACTICAL MATERIALS: A helpful "Path to Disability Pride" framework that readers can use to track their own path to pride or help advocate for someone else's; ready-to-use Teaching Tips for the classroom; candid stories from and interviews with people who have hidden disabilities.